Just keep swimming [status]
Aug. 27th, 2026 09:38 amOur fall semester starts on Tuesday, September 8. For General Biology, we are switching textbooks, to one that is electronic and organized according to learning objectives. That means a lot of extra organizing effort on my end right now, lining up my lecture topics and calendar to figure out how to line up the textbook sections. I'm skeptical that the new textbook will be better than the old one, but I'm fairly confident it won't be worse, at least.
I'll also be teaching a section of our course on "Writing and Research Skills for Biologists." I am pulling more of the lectures and activities back into the classroom, because last fall suggested to me that students just aren't organized to the point where they can make good use of unstructured work time during class. So that's also a lot of retooling.
It's all mostly tedious stuff. So instead of writing more about it, I suggest you read this really fun interview with a woman who recently set a new long-distance swimming record somewhere in British Columbia:
www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/b-c-swimmer-crosses-strait-of-georgia-under-nine-hours-9.7316260
I'll also be teaching a section of our course on "Writing and Research Skills for Biologists." I am pulling more of the lectures and activities back into the classroom, because last fall suggested to me that students just aren't organized to the point where they can make good use of unstructured work time during class. So that's also a lot of retooling.
It's all mostly tedious stuff. So instead of writing more about it, I suggest you read this really fun interview with a woman who recently set a new long-distance swimming record somewhere in British Columbia:
www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/b-c-swimmer-crosses-strait-of-georgia-under-nine-hours-9.7316260